Sophie Krier is a relational artist, researcher, educator and editor. Through her work she interweaves biographies of beings and places, and conceives tools and situations for collective narration and reflection. Her practice moves between intense periods of fieldwork with communities, and editorial/ curatorial work (editing books, films, public programs). Between 2004 and 2009 Krier headed the undergraduate programme designLAB (Rietveld Academie, NL). In 2015, Krier founded the Art & Design Practice, at University College Roosevelt (NL), one of the international honours colleges of Utrecht University, where she developed and directed a practice-based track about visualising ideas in the spirit of Liberal Arts & Sciences. She was affiliated with UCR until 2020. During this time, in addition to her teaching activities, she directed the Summer School How think like a Mountain in a Land of Sea, and co-designed & realised the Outdoor Classroom.
Currently, Krier is affiliated with the Reflective Interaction group at the EnsadLab PSL-Research University Paris, where she works as a research fellow since 2017. She also leads Field Essays, an ongoing editorial research she launched in 2008, involving a series of hybrid publications channelled by Onomatopee, which enables listening pauses between practitioners and thinkers across disciplines. Krier also pursues “place acupuncture” with School of Verticality, a program she developed in 2018-2019 in the context of an art-based research residency hosted by Lungomare.
• Krier S. & Shiratori H., “Fiction as Function: Unusual objects from Japan, Design Fiction”, in: Alex Coles (ed.), Design Fiction, EP Volume 2, Berlin, Sternberg Press, 2016, pp. 113-128
• Krier, S. (ed.), How to think like a mountain in a land of Sea, University College Roosevelt & Municipality of Veere, 2016
• Krier S. (ed.), Sigurðarson B., Ingold T., Edelkoort L., 2015, Field Essays: Things that happened, Eindhoven, Onomatopee, 2015
• Krier S. (ed.), Muecke J., Princen B., Field Essays: Every Image Contains An Object, Eindhoven, Onomatopee, 2012
• Krier S. (ed.), Hess B., Mc Rae L., Pokropski M., Field Essays: Pick of Sticks Embodied, Eindhoven, Onomatopee, 2008